Saturday, November 19, 2011

If You Find a Rock

 
We're a bit delayed on our science activity this week.  Cranky kids, sick dog, not enough sleep, grumpy momma - did I just type that?  Well, it's true.

We actually did do an activity on rock collecting, which I'll write up soon, but in the meantime wanted to share a wonderful book that has inspired us this week, called "If You Find a Rock".  It is a beautifully written and photographed book about all the wonderful things a rock can be.

My family loves rocks; both girls are little rock hounds.  After an afternoon outside, I have to be careful to check their pockets lest their findings wreak havoc on my washing machine.  They take after my mom, their dear Neeni, who also collects what the author would classify as "memory" rocks from special trips.  What other types of rocks are there?  Here's a small excerpt from the book:
"... Or you might  find a rock
whose water-smoothed surface
catches your eye.
If it feels easy in your hand
when you rub it,
then you found a worry rock.
You rub it between
your fingers
and your troubles
are smoothed away."
I love the connections between poetry, art and science!  Do you have any books like this that make your heart and brain sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment